In which two such players document their experiences with the instrument and the world of music around it.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Another Shopping Trip

After going downtown on some unrelated errands I decided to stroll down to Songbird and look at some of the stuff they had there. It was a good choice because, despite them not have much in the bass department that tickled my fancy for some time, today they had some good selections. The first thing that caught my eye was a Les Godfrey Dragonetti. It had a nice sound, almost like a Precision, but with the pickup closer to the bridge (who knows, maybe this is what the Precision Elites sounded like with both pickups on). They also had a USA Lakland 55-94 fretless. It was cherry burst and unlined, a good look if you ask me. The third bass that caught my eye was a bit of a surprise, it was a Peavey Cirrus 5. I had tried a Cirrus 5 on one previous occasion and was somewhat underwhelmed by it. The pickups were kind of dull and uninspired and overall it left me thinking, "meh." That said, I figured I might as well give this one a go too. I was surprised, it had a nice, fairly modern growl. It was something between a contemporary Jazz bass and a Stingray, not a bad sound in my estimation. It was voiced in such a way that everything was nice and clear, thus making chords, double-stops, and harmonics all joys to play. Anyway, right now I hope that all these basses will cancel each other out and I'll end up not wanting any of them... So I can afford school, heh.

No comments: