In which two such players document their experiences with the instrument and the world of music around it.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Losing the Precision Sound

I've talked to a few different people about this, and they've agreed that there's something about new Fender Precisions. More specifically, there is something missing - the classic Precision mid-range honk. It's there, but it seems weakened. My theory is that, in the last ten years or so, Fender has witnessed the rise in a desire for mid-scooped tones. Nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing, but that's not what the Precision is for. So it seems that they've castrated those classic Precision mids, and in exchange, all you get is a wussy sound bass. Now, you could say I'm biased, because I like a strong mids presence, but I know what decent mid-scoop tone sounds like too. I actually really enjoyed playing a Thumb fretless I saw in Long & McQuade once. The thing with the Precision is that it's just never going to be a Thumb, it's the wrong pickups, the wrong wood, the wrong everything. So instead, you're left with a wimpy-sounding Precision, yuck.

No comments: