In which two such players document their experiences with the instrument and the world of music around it.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Four versus Five

All the basses I own are four-strings. I don't own a lot of basses, but I do own several. From time to time either myself or someone else will wonder why I don't have at least one five-string. I have seen many posts on Talkbass where people try to argue objectively for anything from four strings to seven strings and beyond. I always say that I use fours because typically that's what works for the music I play. If I played prog rock or fusion, that would change maybe. All the same I wonder sometimes about a five.

This feeling strikes me especially when playing in D or Eb, for obvious reasons. But outside of that, I wonder what I'm missing. The thing that appeals to me is that tonally, I like the sound of notes played further up the neck. Playing a low E at the fifth, F# at the 7th, that's what appeals to me too.

No comments: